Tuesday, February 3, 2009

pajamas

My almost two year old can get out of his zipper pajamas - you know, the ones with the feet we all remember from childhood. You may wonder why I am astounded by his ability to free himself from an article of clothing that simply zips down the front. Read on.

This particular child has an aversion to clothing. We know this. He rarely stays in his pants all day and if a shirt did not have to be pulled up and over his head not to mention unbuttoned or unsnapped, he'd be stark naked all the time. This being said, we pin him into the pajamas. It's not inhumane. He needs the pajamas to stay warm at night - it's February in Provo for the sake of Pete! If he doesn't wear them, he gets cold and wakes up at some horrifying hour of the night and I have to deal with him then. Furthermore, if he were to be running around in his dark bedroom with no toys (this, too, is done for a reason) chances are he'd get bored and take his diaper off and then that horrifying hour of the night just got even scarier.

So, yes. Horrible mother that I am, I put a safety pin under the zipper pull of my toddler's zipper pajamas.

And. He. Gets. Out!!!

I have no idea how. The pin is still locked in place. The pajamas are still zipped all the way up. They are just in a heap on the floor and he is running around the room. Naked. Cold. Bored. And still not asleep.

Why is this?

If, after a long day of toddler-ing, a gracious and loving mother took the time to bathe me, dress me in warm, soft, and comfortable pajamas, and tuck me into my bed, I would be happy, I would snuggle blissfully into my bed and not wake until dawn. Instead, I'm chasing a naked toddler around trying to get the pin off his pajamas so that I can put them back on him!

I'm not sure what's more amazing here. His being able to get out of the pinned pajamas or my repeated attempts to re-pin him in the pajamas...

0 comments:

Post a Comment