Wednesday, May 19, 2010

only my girl

Abby is very nearly 17 months old. Can you believe it? I know, you can't believe it. You can't even imagine it really because it's been so stinkin' long since I posted a picture. I'm sorry. Old computer - new computer blues. Right now the old computer (the picture computer) is buried under an assortment of laundry - what surface of my house isn't? - as well as a vaccuum hose and who even knows what else. So, since a picture's worth 1000 words, I guess this post will have to be a couple thousand to make up for its picture-less-ness. And yes, that's a word - look it up.

Abby went to nursery on Sunday. God bless the nursery leaders they didn't say no. She is as big as a 2 year old after all - and she can stick up for herself. Steve dropped her off and she went right in. We lingered longer near the nursery hall (this is code for ditched Sunday School) and she never cried, they never brought her out. A friend of mine in the nursery said a little boy pulled her pigtail - she didn't even cry. She squawked at him, pulled away, and went and found another toy to play with. Steve picked her up smiling - albeit with disheveled hair - and happy. (no months of tears or mommy on a toddler chair for weeks - just a happy kid going to her class - where they have toys!) only my girl.

The other night she wanted to play with her brothers while I was making dinner. No dice. They wanted to play big boy games and she isn't. Big or a boy. So I brought a bucket of lego blocks into the kitchen and set her on the floor with them. This way she would stay by me and away from the big boys. She pulled the lid off and I waited for the inevitable. (that's the part when my boys dump the entire contents of the bucket on the floor.) Abby pulled each block out one at a time into a pile on the floor. Then she pulled out one of the lego men in his orange hard hat, looked up at me, smiled, and said, "baby!" She happily played with said insulted lego man for the entire time I made dinner. only my girl.

I took her crib apart last night. It's going to spend some quality time at Casa Adams. I put her on the crib mattress on the floor and prepared myself to pull up a rug while I laid by her and waited for her to fall asleep. That is, after all, the way I'd done it three times before. She thought since I was in there, we should play. I got up and went in the hall, preparing myself mentally for the 3000 return-her-to-bed trips I would have to make. But she stayed. I hope you understand the gravity of this - especially considering her older brother Will still thinks an unlocked door is an invitation to not be in bed. Sam and Jake must still get out of bed 1000 times to see what I'm doing, to get a drink, to go potty, and all the other things that are not GET IN YOUR BED! She STAYS!! It's like a miracle. A pink, pig-tailed, rosy cheeked miracle! only my girl.

Who knew pink could be so sweet?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment