Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Payback (or We Need a Marianne, Stat!)

So, 11/11 which was, incidentally Veterans Day, was also the Thanksgiving Feast at Sam's school. For two weeks he's been telling me this. Telling me he was a Native American (not an Indian) and that his Native American name would be Blue Horse, which wasn't really as cool as his friend's name - Arrowhead. Notes came home from the teacher hinting that there would be some costuming for the Feast, but the only instructions involved Sunday shirts for the pilgrims. Seeing as Sam was a Native American, I thought I was off the hook.

Then, morning of, Sam comes screeching into my room insisting he must have a costume for the Feast. WHAT?!?!?! I yell. I've asked you everyday for two weeks if you need a costume and you've said no. Needless to say I was being paid back for the all times I announced to my mother at like 11:30 pm that some major league project was do the next day and oh, I don't have any poster board.

So, drawing upon what little creativity courses through my veins (it's definitely not life sustaining) I channeled my inner Marianne and the memories I had of Thanksgiving feasts of yore and cut and taped a brown paper grocery sack into a Native American vest and tied it with Will's bootlace. (Have I mentioned that I'm usually allergic to craft-oriented activities? They make me break out in multi-syllabic cursing and encourage the invention of new phrases and words.) But we survived. The thing looked vest like and didn't fall off. Then Sam decorated it with Dakota symbols. (Apparently we have a budding Robert Langdon among us) and then insisted I draw on his face. My markers, paint, and virtually every other craft supply I own is trapped in the garage. So I used black liquid eyeliner. The result was a cross between an outfielder and a catholic on Ash Wednesday (it's supposed to be a triangle and line a Dakota symbol for something - ask Robert (I mean Sam)) - in a brown paper sack.

enjoy!
ps - I love you Mom! and Marianne!

1 comments:

Marianne November 17, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

Loved it!! So cute-- I am sure that Sam loved it, and that it was more than sufficient for the activity!

Post a Comment