Monday, September 21, 2009

I Must've Done Something Good...

*Note to all: this is a picture-less post. Not because I don't have pictures to post, just no time to post them.*

So my Mom often tells me to pay attention to those songs that randomly go through your head. Not the ones that were on the alarm clock this morning (don't ask me when the last time I used an alarm clock was - 4 kids, enough said) or the songs that you've absorbed into your subconscious from your children's preschool programming (Veggie Tales is a big culprit of this at my house). No, the songs that just arrive in your head, you find yourself humming and singing and if you're not paying attention come and go before you're even aware that they're there. (homophone.)

So, Friday afternoon I was freakishly cleaning my house. We'd gone for too many days of sick and tired, followed abruptly by an emergency call from my office. The house was a pit. So, freakishly I moved from room to room scouring. The crowning achievement for any and all who have ever been to my house was that I MOPPED THE KITCHEN FLOOR. On my hands and knees - with a scrub brush. It was a miracle. As I'm scrubbing, I realize I'm humming. As I'm humming, I stop to identify what I am humming.

<> "Perhaps I had a wicked childhood. <> Perhaps I had a miserable youth. <> But somewhere in my wicked, miserable past, there must have been a moment of truth.

For those of you non-musical people, this is a song from The Sound of Music. It's the song Julie Andrews sings to Christopher Plummer after she decides she doesn't want to be a nun, she wants to be his wife, and the mother of his 7 children.

So now, as the dutiful daughter. Why was this particular song in my head, I wondered. Please note that at this moment of scrubbing all of my children were taking a nap, as was my husband, except Sam who was at school. As I pondered this random song, all I could think of was how true it was for me.

Despite all the young women's leaders who thought me impossible and washed their hands of me, despite all the horribly awkward and other totally punky moments in my life, I must've done at least five good things. For in my life I have four little people and one big person who are "standing here loving me, whether or not they should." As I pondered this random song, I suddenly, in the midst of my mopping felt very, very blessed.

Thank heaven for Moms.

1 comments:

Marianne September 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

I love this post--I like all of them, but this one speaks with such truth, such candor. Again you inspire me, and help me think that maybe one day, I can be a great mom too.

Post a Comment