Monday, September 28, 2009

Black August

So, August 2009 will forever be known as Black August. In addition to turning thirty, Will made 5 trips to the doctor (including an ER visit), and I spent over $200 in doctor-related fees. UG! The last time I was in at the doctor, I asked if I could get a punch card - you know, four visits and the fifth is free? Here's the play-by-play:

August 4: After two weeks of grungy green nose, I took Will to the doctor - sinus infection.

August 6: On the way home from a bike ride, Sam crashed his bike into a tree limb that was secretly hiding a very large (about the size of a gallon milk jug) hornet's nest. Black hornets. Darth Vader Bees of Death. He got stung several times and so did I in our frantic run home. After immediately getting him some benedryl (to ward off the swelling) I went outside to help Steve with the bikes, etc. While gone, Will drank and/or poured the rest of the benedryl out. The pediatrician didn't answer the phone, so I called poison control for advice. They booked Will a room at the ER. Two hours later - the ER doctor confirmed that while caution was to be lauded, there was absolutely nothing wrong with him.

August 23: After another few days of fever, stomach pain, and general yuckiness, I take Will back to the doctor. They think he might have appendicitis. While he lays semi-conscious in my lap they do a blood draw and other yucky tests to tell us he has, instead, a virus. Lucky no surgery. Unlucky - no treatment.

August 27: After telling the boys to stay out of the closet in Uncle Stephen's recently vacated room, they all went (of course) straight for it. In so doing, Sam ran Will's pinky finger over with the mirrored closet door. Huge gash - all across the knuckle. I can't get it to stop bleeding, so we go into the doctor for a super-glue-ing and a blue splint. (see photo.) In addition, he was supposed to keep the dressing on (and clean and dry for three days). Needless to say, we had to get additional new dressing materials after his foray into the neighbor's recently delivered top soil.

August 31: After suffering from raging allergies, Sam rubbed pink eye into his eyes. Both. And then shared with the rest of the kids. YES!

Now you know why I went mysteriously Blog-silent.

2 comments:

Lisa September 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

First off, you must be mistaken about being 30. Because that would mean I'm turning 30 in a few months. So I think you'd better recheck your math.

And Will . . . holy freaking canole!!! That is incredible. I'm glad you guys are all still standing after that month.

Seriously, I'm sending much love to you.

Elisa October 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

Hey Meredith - I found your blog through Laura's, I hope you don't mind me peeking at it!
And - wow, what a crazy bunch of boys you have there! I hope your girl does something to calm them down eventually :)

Post a Comment