Tuesday, March 24, 2009

we had our easter lesson early

So, our dog Maisy died this morning. This was definitely not the course I thought we were headed for when Steve, Jake, and Will drove to Paul, ID to pick Maisy up last Thursday. I was actually more concerned about how to keep the puppy from eating the kids' shoes that are constantly strewn all over the backyard.

Turns out the poor little thing came to us with some sort of intestinal puppy virus. She was calm at first and then turned to lethargic, then depressed. It was very sad.

So this morning, we had our Easter lesson early. My three little brown eyed boys sat on the couch while we talked about Jesus, death, and resurrection. They nodded at all the right moments, wondering why we were having family home evening in the morning, on a Tuesday.

The rest is all very sad, as my boys realized at different moments that death is real and Maisy is the one who is dead. The details make me cry, but suffice it to say that as we buried Maisy in the backyard and placed "popcorn popping" blossoms over the dirt, Sam prayed the most heartfelt prayer I've ever heard through his little five year old tears.

"Dear Heavenly Father, please watch over our puppy, Maisy."

Even though it seems like such a small thing, I am so very grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who gave us the gospel, taught us to pray, sent us His son, and put things like popcorn trees on the Earth to remind us that even though things die, in the spring they always rise again.

2 comments:

Lisa March 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

I'm so sorry! Please accept my sympathies, truly. Give your sweet boys an extra hug from me.

Marianne March 24, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Eric and I would love to round up your boys and hug them and kiss them, but we can't, so we sent them with Mom. We too are so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father. We are touched by the lesson that your boys were able to learn so young.

Post a Comment